Mindfulness is an intentionally focused awareness.
A way of paying attention on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally.
While this notion may seem simplistic, especially in our complex world, attending to the constant activity of the mind for a few brief minutes can yield powerful and even surprising information.
Operating “mindfully” — in the moment an event occurs — enhances the ability to both identify and minimize sources of stress while enhancing competencies that build resiliency.
Mindfulness practices enhance the ability to deal effectively with conflict, to communicate about what’s important, to enjoy each moment as it comes, especially if those moments are difficult.
Individuals regularly practicing mindfulness experience less stress, more resiliency and a greater sense of clarity, balance, energy and zest for living.
Research has shown that mindfulness practices:
- Increase cognitive clarity and creative thinking
- Enhance leadership capacity
- Improve complex problem-solving and decision-making
- Enrich emotional intelligence & attunes social intelligence with others
- Foster enhanced self-awareness of the mind-body connection
- Aid in mood regulation and immune system management of a wide range of physical concerns.
Search for Chris Johnson on the Mindfulness App
Start your journey to a more relaxed and healthier state of mind with The Mindfulness App. Whether you are just starting out or experienced in meditation, The Mindfulness App will help you to become more present in your daily life.
If we can learn to see change as an integral part of life and not as a threat to our well-being, we will be in a much better position to cope effectively with stress.Jon Kabat Zinn
What is Mindfulness? Can it help me?
Listen as Chris gives an overview of the 8-week MBSR course & invites you to join!
Over the course of this 7-week MBSR course you will learn to attend to yourself, to train your attention and to cultivate somatic, daily practices as a solid foundation for being fully present in every moment.
September 20th- November 8th 2018
Oak Brook 22
1211 22nd St.
Oak Brook, IL 60523
The core curriculum for A Mindful Course™ is based on more than 30 years of research from The Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Healthcare and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
The Center for Mindfulness serves as an umbrella organization for the Stress Reduction Program founded by renowned author Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979. It’s dedicated to the integration of mindfulness meditation practices into the mainstream of medicine and healthcare, education, corporate leadership and the workplace, criminal justice, and sports and entertainment.
Chris Johnson, PsyD., has taught this course for seventeen years in the Chicago area.
The course fee of $500 covers everything you need for the course: weekly classes, audio files for practice, course materials, a full-day retreat. Early Bird fees available until Orientation meeting. Check additional Bring-A-Buddy Discounts.
- Tap into hidden resources of energy & a zest for living fully.
- Cultivate self-awareness & acceptance; enrich your emotional intelligence.
- Foster awareness of a healthy mind-body connection by addressing physical and emotional issues & moving through them.
- Develop a daily discipline of meditation & relaxation.
- Focus your energy on creating positive solutions to situations that tend to worry you.
- Integrate practical skills into your daily routine that will refresh and revitalize you at work & at home.
- Work with your mood regulation & strengthen your psychobiological and immune system.
- Increase your cognitive clarity & improve your decision-making skills.
- Connect with yourself & others more authentically.
- Tap into your creative & intuitive capacities.
- Achieve a greater sense of physical and emotional balance & control.
- Mandatory Orientation session
- Seven Thursday evenings, from 6:30-8:45 p.m.
- All-day Retreat
- Interactive instruction in Mindfulness Practices
- Sitting & Walking Meditation
- Somatic Awareness Practices
- Gentle Yoga & Movement Practices
- A Full Day of Mindfulness
“One of the key practical lessons of modern neuroscience is that the power to direct our attention has within it the power to shape our brain’s firing patterns, as well as the power to shape the architecture of the brain itself."Dr. Dan Siegel
Chris was the exact right person to work with our Senior Leaders. I believe the progress made in those two days and the commitment to the work that continues is a direct result of our team’s confidence and trust in Chris’ ability to guide us
Lisa Breen Strickland
I’m now on an even keel with my own health as well as with my congregation, relating with more creativity, ‘grace under pressure,’ and a sense of humor. Without the mindfulness skills I learned from Chris, I would surely be struggling more and finding less satisfaction in my work. I am profoundly grateful for having learned from Chris. Bob Ryder
Working with Chris, I began to appreciate that my capacity to lead and transform my organization could only increase through others. At first “mindfulness” sounded to me like squishy overused synonym for group hugs and undisciplined leadership. I couldn’t have been more wrong.
I’m very thankful that I was open-minded enough to listen, read and learn about the science behind Chris’s Core Presence Coaching™ process, based in mindfulness practices. By acknowledging and appreciating the need to connect with others, and practicing mindful awareness, I was able to engage more deliberately with co-workers and lead in the organization.Nick Blawat